Wednesday, March 30, 2011

How Hit Songs Become Hit Songs, and How You Can Help

I have a Brazilian fan. OK, Jason Michael Carroll has a Brazilian fan, but she calls me from Brazil on occasion and asks how she can help get JMC's music more airplay. Last week she asked for the inside scoop on how to make a song succeed, and I was happy to oblige. If nothing else, I felt I was promoting positive US/Brazilian relations.

But it's a long answer, so grab a Snickers bar.

There are 100-150 "reporting stations" in America. They're in bigger markets, usually in the Top 175 in terms of population. Raleigh is Market #42, I think New York or Chicago is #1. Not all country stations within these top markets "report," just the ones that kick butt (like QDR). By reporting, we're basically letting the two country chart services know what songs we play and when. So when you hear that a song is a #1 song, that means it's the most played song amongst those reporting stations. I think it was Thompson Square's “Are You Gonna' Kiss Me or Not” this week.

Fan Clubs often try to blitz these stations, which can be counter productive. We sniff out fan clubs a mile away. Often we'll go from 0 requests for a song, to about four dozen in a 36 hour period, and then back to 0 again. Often these fans are scattered across the country. Someone requesting a song from Green Bay, Wisconsin is not going to listen to QDR, so I don't really care about that request. Sometimes fan clubs get a little unruly and begin yelling and berating a DJ. This does not help an artist. He or she would be embarrassed to hear this is going on.

Another thing to keep in mind is that when a radio station does play the song you're looking for, they probably won't play it again for awhile, at least six hours if it's a very new song. We start all new songs off slowly. Even though it seems like we suddenly began playing Taylor Swift 14 times a day, there were weeks were we played her new song once or twice a day.

So, to answer Nic's question, fans and fan clubs can best help an artist gather airplay by sustaining support on a local level. That means requesting the songs, showing up for concerts and recruiting more fans. Also, get to know your local DJ, and understand that he/she is ultimately trying to play music that pleases a large slice of the listening audience for a long period of time.

If that doesn't work, I like Chic-Fil-a milkshakes and chocolate chip cookies.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So Nic appreciates the big, long and patient answer! :)) Oh, except the part that a request from a Wisconsin fan doesn't matter for you...cause, you know, if Wisconsin is far away, well, what to say about Brazil, hun?! LOL
Thanks Billy!

Unknown said...

Oh, I almost forgot: you are the only one I call to request...so, I guess you can say you have a brazilian fan! :)
And don't you dare think "oh, I wish I hadn't"...LOL

Laura Edenburn said...

Well then. Truthfully I listen to your station more than any of them in Iowa.. and I have been for about 5 months or so. the QDR DJ's are just more personable and funnier than the ones here. I do request like crazy on stations in Iowa though.. Just depends what time of day it is. Hmmmm....