Monday, July 26, 2010

Wrinkle Free Pants

"Maybe I have a tape worm?"

That was my immediate thought as I stood amongst the clearance racks at TJ Maxx yesterday. I had just slipped a great looking chocolate brown, Haggar short sleeve, dress shirt over my head. It was regularly priced at $49, on sale for $14 but it didn't fit.

"It's a size M," I thought. "No way I'm an S?"


It did fit, sort of. The shoulders looked good, and the length worked. But the mid section was big enough to hold a set of third trimester twins.


Just for kicks (and because my wife says I look great in browns) I found a "S" and slipped it on. It fit like Chris Farley's jacket in "Tommy Boy," aside from the studio apartment sized belly.

Then it dawned on me. Despite the svelte male models you see in their advertisements, Haggar makes shirts for dudes with big beer bellies.

Men, it seems, have the counter curse to women shoppers. Instead of stylish options being catered to skinny chicks, our best looking duds are tailored to men without the time to work on their physical well being. Haggar isn't the only guilty label. Dockers, Croft and Barrow and Chaps don't fit a skinny lad.

If men enjoyed the hunt for a perfect pair of jeans as much as women do, I think we'd find the quest as challenging. When it comes to making one's butt look good, victory only comes to those who put in the work.

No comments: