Wednesday, March 16, 2011

After Idol ends...


After American Idol wraps up, the winner will embark on the A.I. Tour, and then his or her own tour. I wouldn't buy a ticket for either.

The show is great for teaching young musicians how to handle media, improve musicality, and build confidence. It's lousy for teaching an artist how to work a stage. I know, they're on stage every week. But that performance is a concert as much as my set for Grandpa Walt and Grandma Virginia 20 years ago was a concert. It's familiar, safe, and most importantly short.

Shortly after Carrie Underwood won Idol, she opened for Kenny Chesney. I'm not exaggerating when I say she looked like a new born pony. Her legs trembled and she couldn't convince the crowd drink a beer if their lives depended on it, let alone clap their hands. The singing was good, but the performance was flat with a capital FLAT!

I saw her perform two songs 13 days ago. WOW!

Carrie has clearly worked hard to get better on stage. She walked out and owned the room. I was afraid of her after she finished with “Undo it,” but wanted to console her after “Jesus Take the Wheel.” Every ounce of her went into those songs and when the last guitar chord faded away the crowd of 1,000 exploded. Seasoned artists like Brad Paisley and Tim McGraw also took the stage that night. But it was Carrie who owned it.

Then she admitted she was sick. Are you kidding me?

American Idol may create a star, but the work he or she puts in afterward keep that star burning bright.

No comments: