Monday, August 30, 2010

How do rich people decide who pays?


Social etiquette demands more attention as one moves up the pay scale. If I were rich, I imagine people would expect me to pay every time we ate out. Is that fair?

Who picks up the tab if Alan Jackson and Toby Keith were to lunch? Miss Manners would argue that whomever offered the invite should reach for the check, but say these two bump into each other at Trail West boot shop in Nashville and decide to go get some Jack's BBQ.

Or say Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney go out for a night on the town. When I dine with my friends, they may pick up dinner, but I'll try to get an equal expense later in the night. I wonder if Kenny Chesney is running numbers in his head to figure out if he needs to pick up the next round or if he's good. Is there someone in Nashville who's a notorious cheapskate?

I asked a record label rep these questions over the weekend, but didn't get many answers. He suggested Kenny may buy Brad Paisley dinner because he has more money, but couldn't decide who'd pay up if Brad and Darius Rucker dined. Maybe they'd go dutch.

Brad: Alright D, you had the tuna and the potato skins...

Darius: Yep, and you ordered the side salad.


Brad: Don't forget to figure in tax and tip.

I think Brad would pick up the bill if he ate with Josh Thompson or Steel Magnolia, but what if Steel Magnolia and Josh Thompson ran into each other and decided to get a bite to eat? Who'd pick up the check then Mr. Record man?

Record Guy: Probably me!

(On a side note, I learned that artists are given a healthy per Diem. It might be $100 a day, and most meals are provided for free. That's good news for Josh from Steel Magnolia. He likes to give his per Diem away to bums.)

No comments: