Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Capitalism makes me tingle!


I resisted the customer loyalty card concept for as long as I could, it didn't feel fair.

First it was only grocery stores that strong armed me into trading my personal contact information for great deals on boneless/skinless chicken breasts and two-for-one bags of Utz potato chips. There simply isn't a way around it.But now book stores, dry cleaners, pharmacies, gas stations and restaurants all have their own key fob or credit card sized plastic membership passes. I find myself wondering if we're all not joining discount “clubs” but discount “cults.”


Much like the hippie who trades his long locks and torn corduroys for suits and ties, I've given in. In fact I'm going to the other extreme. I'll embrace every discount club I can find, even seeking them out. I dream of a key ring jammed full of fabs. The idea of a wallet as thick as a Big Mac makes me tingle.

I'm seriously tingling right now!


It was fun resisting culture, and I suspect it will fun embracing it with equal zeal. Maybe I could plop myself somewhere in between, but the comfy middle isn't inspiring. Life happens on the edge.

No comments: