Friday, February 4, 2011

They say it's gonna' be a "Casual Hang..."

I'm taking a day off on Thursday to attend a Ronnie Dunn listening party. Very excited about this... Ronnie will be there to talk about his new music. I'm hoping to show him the picture of me dressed up as him for Halloween.

I'm nervous though. The evening promises to be a "very casual hang" with country superstar Ronnie Dunn. Radio DJ's don't do casual very well. We're trained in the cattle-call style meet and greet. We like organization and specific start and stop points. Garth Brooks learned this the hard way in 2007.

Imagine 100 radio DJ's from across the country huddled in Garth's magnificent Nashville area barn. We were fed, and boozed, and finally Garth emerged. "Don't worry," we were told. "Garth will make his way to every table to say 'Hi' and sign autographs."

The purpose of this trip was to get us all excited about his new music, specifically the song "More Than a Memory." It worked as the song debuted at #1 on the country charts a few short weeks later. The rest of the trip was sort of a drunk fest, but I heard I had a great time.

Anyway... Garth walks in. Nobody was patient. One person asks for an autograph, then another. Fifteen minutes later Garth has a three hour long meet and greet line in the middle of his barn. "You can go back to your seat," a manager tells us. "He'll come to you."

No one budged. We didn't want to lose our spot in line.


As I gear up for Thursday's "casual hang" I'm working on my casualness. Maybe I'll wear slippers.

No comments: