Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The different shades of social friendship...

Of all the online friend types, YouTube friends have to be the creepiest.

On Facebook, MySpace and Twitter, one gets a little normal-person interaction or at least the potential for some normal-person interaction. It feels civil. On YouTube, friends exist only to share videos.

That's sort of slimy, isn't it?

Maybe my mind is stuck in 1998 and my sophomore year at Western Michigan University. I didn't like “sharing” videos with “friends” then and I don't like it now. A relationship that's exclusive to such video trading feels wrong. It makes me want to go wash my hands.

That said, I do have a YouTube page at www.youtube.com/hotsoupmedia. Feel free to become a fan of my frequent artist videos. If you want to share yours... well at least introduce yourself in person first.

No comments: