Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Thunderstorms, Horses and Cooter

It's nice to work at a station that rarely suffers debilitating technical problems. Last night I had a small issue, and it was fixed promptly. If we're off the air for a significant period of time, streets are likely flooded and trees have likely crashed through homes.

That hasn't always been the case. At a previous radio station I once
was knocked off air for 3 hours because a horse needed to scratch an itch. Our tower - like most radio towers - was off in some field, and a farmer took to letting his horses graze nearby. One horse liked to use a post supporting an important wire as a back scratcher. Over time he wore the wire then, and eventually shorted a 50,000 watt radio station.

Once while interviewing Cooter from the "Dukes of Hazzard," I blew a tube and killed the station for a morning. If that happens in Raleigh, we have a contingency plan and Cooter never knows the difference.

I once resorted to fixing a piece of on site broadcast equipment with electric tape and a plastic spoon. It held for my two hour broadcast, and I reported it. Weeks later I embarked on another on site broadcast and found my spoon, still taped to the antenna.

If QDR is off air for longer than 90 seconds, run for the hills.

No comments: