Monday, June 7, 2010

The Choke!


Bill Buckner. Scott Norwood. And now Jim Joyce.

All three of these men stood in the way of perfection in his own unique way. Jim Joyce was the umpire who blew the call that cost my Detroit Tigers a perfect game last week.

I've had some time cool off, and decided I can relate to his miscue. In fact, I can relate more than I care to admit.

You stand their on the baseball diamond with no doubt that the game's outcome is going to come down to you. And it does...

And you misplay the ground ball, or drop the pass, or blow the call. The baseball diamond can be a metaphor for life.

It happened again on Saturday with Brooks and Dunn and Jason Aldean. I wanted badly to video Jason's interview on the broadcast deck; I even went as far as to secure permission shortly before we began. I remembered to video opener Tyler Dickerson:



Maybe I got caught up in Aldean's presence, because I put my camera down and forgot all about it.

For two years I've been wanting to show Kix and Ronnie this photo from Halloween 2008:

I was invited backstage before the show and... yep. I didn't think of the photo until someone mentioned that I looked like Ronnie's 27 year old son.

I like to say my wins are more than my losses. But I'm sure glad no one is keeping stats.

No comments: