Thursday, April 22, 2010

I am the Ice Cream Man

More accurately, I was the Ice Cream Man. It was my first job after college (parents were real proud) and I just wanted something that gave me freedom to pursue my career in radio.


I won't lie, it was the worst job ever.

There were the trucks that were held together by duct tape and only got AM radio. There was the customers who resented you. And there were my "coworkers." We called one "Tooth" and he and his buddy would frequently came in smelling like Tequila. They thought they were the coolest thing, and in that environment they were pretty much were.


I'll never forget the kids though, or just one kid in particular. I had passed by his house and stopped at the corner a half block away. He strolled to the bottom of his driveway, and gave me a whistle and the "bring it on back here" wave.

What happened to the days when we'd get on our bikes and ride miles at the faintest glimmer of the ice cream man's bells. Times, they say, have changed.

I accepted that quickly, put it in reverse and took his $1.50 for a bomb pop.

I quit after two months, and went and worked in a liquor store.

No comments: