Tuesday, March 8, 2011

JMC has a beef with Trace Adkins

In January, Jason Michael Carroll announced “Meet Me in the Barn” would be the lead single from his forthcoming album. It's a song about what happens in the hay loft when the cows aren't looking. There's a guy, and a girl and they sneak away to... well you get the gist of it. A great song that QDR DJ's were excited to play.

Suddenly Trace Adkins releases “Brown Chicken, Brown Cow.” Pretty much the same song, with a goofier hook. Jason wisely changed directions realizing there isn't room on country radio for two songs about making the rooster crow at sunset. Trace is the more established artist and stations (other than QDR) would choose his version over JMC's in the long run. No sense in sinking a lot of time and money into promoting a single that is doomed, right?

Last week, Trace apologized for releasing “Brown Chicken, Brown Cow.”

“Can ya'll give me a mulligan,” he asked an audience in Nashville.

Despite a hilarious video, radio stations and listeners took to his song like an egg on Teflon. It went SPLAT and quickly slid off the charts. Trace's caviler attitude suggests he didn't believe the song would work in the first place.

“Meet Me in the Barn” died with it, but fortunately JMC has plenty of good material to choose his next single from. I think Trace owes him one. Next time he's pitched a hit song, he needs to call our Youngsville star and offer it to him.

Or at least watch his kids for a night so Jason and his wife can have a nice night out together.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard both songs and apart from the barn, they aren't very similar. JMCs song is much, much better than Atkin's. What a shame. You should play it anyway! Local talent!

Unknown said...

For weeks I've been wondering why he changed the single choice!!! Thx Billy!!

Well, fortunatly JMC has lots of awesome material to choose from and Numbers is also AMAZING!

But hey, the end of this story was soooo predictable: who would you choose to go to a barn with, Trace or JMC??? ....LOL....

So, let's enjoy Numbers and then let Meet me in the barn come!!! Go JMC!!!

Anonymous said...

Jason made the best decision I think. "Meet Me In The Barn" is a great song but timing just wasn't right. I think it could be the 2nd or 3rd release & it will do fine, it will give radio listeners a chance to forget Trace's song since it flopped anyway. So for now JMC's HTF's will blow up radio request lines, radio facebook pages, radio twitter's to request "Numbers". Let's get Jason to the top where he belongs!

JRKJMC said...

I have listened to both songs from both men and I like both artists. Trace's song doesn't even begin to compare to Jason's Meet Me in the Barn. Hopefully Jason will still release this single at a later time because the song is great!

Anonymous said...

Aww That's a shame...but VERY nice Trace apoligized.... I love JMC's Meet me in the barn...and thought FOR SURE it would be his next big hit...but this only makes sense! I do hope further down the road it can be released!

Anonymous said...

THATS GAT

Anonymous said...

I love both Numbers and Meet me in the Barn! Trace is ok but fact is that I fell in love with country music and never looked back and only because I heard JMC sing country like no one else I'd ever heard! He opened up a whole new music world for me and I am sure for so many others! Now doesn't that count for something? I say it does! Thank you for the music Jas! I am forever grateful to you!