Monday, January 17, 2011

When does 2+2=5 ?

Imagine you fall asleep one night, and when you wake up everyone in the world is in agreement that 2+2=5.

Does that mean it's true?

I've tossed this idea around for a year or two. At what point does public opinion outweigh fact? I've gone as far as to imagine the irritating argument that would take place in the above scenario:

Me: But look, there's one, two, three, four!
Them: Yes, but two plus two equals five. Everyone knows that.
Me: Arghhhh!!!
Them: Let's ask Johnny. "Johnny! What's two and two?"
Johnny: "Five!"
Them: See.
Me: But... (sighs) Fine.

Something similar has happened at Camp Lejeune. An article in the newspaper some time ago revealed it's actually pronounced La-Jern after a man named Lejeune. "La-Jern" is how he pronounced his name. Ten of ten Marines will disagree however, and who am I to argue with Marines?

This week, they announced a 13th Zodiac sign because our planet now travels through 13 constellations not 12 like it did 2500 years ago. It's screwed up everyone's sign, but the astrological world is largely ignoring this finding. I doubt if I look in tomorrow's newspaper I'll find the horoscope for the Ophiuchus sign (Nov. 29-Dec.
17).

While once I was a Scorpio, now I'm a Libra. My wife is a Taurus and she's a little pissed off about that. The explanation seems to be based on indisputable science so we must recognize it. Right?

In a year, I bet we'll have forgotten about this new "discovery" and ten of ten persons born on October 31st will proclaim themselves Scorpio once again.

That's a shame. I think I made a pretty good Libra.

No comments: