Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Musical Dorito Theory

(as seen in the Independent Weekly on January 5)

Music can be like snack food.

If you settle for an easily accessible, slightly messy, but instantly gratifying snack food like Doritos, you'll quickly find yourself searching the cupboard for another snack.

The same can be said for music. We need to be active listeners who search beyond what it is advertised on every TV channel or stocked in every gas station (I think that makes me the surly store clerk). It's so much more satisfying to reach deeper and discover an artist that most people haven't heard of yet.

Of my ten favorite albums from the past year or three, only a couple would resonate with QDR listeners. I hope that most lists include a certain amount of “Who's That?"

Let me give you a name to watch in 2011: Brantley Gilbert.

I know many club goers know Brantley from his shows with Colt Ford, but he's still an unknown commodity to most. That won't last much past June or July.

No comments: